So today there was a meeting w/ Jeff, from the shop @ sci-Arc + partner of Machineous, to go over the next phase of file prep. (Supposed to be w/ Andreas yesterday, but he couldn’t make it).
Now that 4 of us, Oliver Liao, Jeongsun Oh, ChiaHwa Lu, and Mira Lee, are done with exporting all the bricks into Rhino, time to move on to the next job.
In order to get all the bricks to fit into one another, intersecting surfaces need to get trimmed out, and again be saved as an individual brick file for the cutting job with the ROBOT.
The following are the steps that Jeff gave us:
1. Import template into Rhino model.
2. Clean out all the intersecting surfaces on each brick.
3. Take an individual brick and place it on the template.
4. 3D orient the brick; make fat side up.
* Each brick is composed of two surfaces: Fat side + Thin side.
5. Rotate fat using 3d rotation ( 0 about x axis at 180 deg.)
6. Separate a fat and thin layer.
7. Every brick has a folder with fat. Iges and thin.iges in it.
8. Repeat steps 2-7 until the last brick.
Images: Oliver Liao
Photo: Greg Lynn Form